Thursday 5 February 2009

Public Transport

Not having bought a bike yet and starting to lose the Australian heat I had stored deep inside, I decided to break with another tradition and attempt to take a bus instead of trekking half an hour through the snow on a twice daily basis. Initial frustration about the incompleteness of the online timetables (surely these things stop more often than that) and my seeming inability to positively identify a single bus stop anywhere in town, were instantly resolved when it was made clear that the busses don't have stops: they'll stop wherever you wave them down. In fact, for half a dollar more, they'll pick you up at home - how about that?

So that's all good: the only thing I would have to do is walk along the bus's route and wave it down as soon as it catches up on me - instead of freezing to the ground in some wind-infested bus shelter or missing the bus entirely because you happen to be standing in the wrong place. Notwithstanding those good intentions, I haven't managed to find my bus (the red line) in either of the two days that I've tried. Sure, I did see a bus or two, but they were all green and were ever so slightly off the track where I expected them...

Finally, I have done what I should've done at once: I've checked the route of the green line... which doesn't come anywhere near where I saw it. Consequently, I take it the red line is currently being serviced by a bus with a green line along its side.


If only I were colourblind, I wouldn't have walked right pass my bus, two days in a row.

2 comments:

  1. Long live decently organized transport!
    A good idea not to have stops though, but to have people wave at it and get on the bus from wherever they stand.
    Though I know why they don´t have that system here: you´d get all nauseous sitting in a bus that´s braking and starting every half minute :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "a bus that´s braking and starting every half minute"

    Now that would assume there's actually many people using the bus... :-P

    ReplyDelete