Friday 17 December 2010

And time passed...

Did things happen? Sure things happened. There was the Belgo-Spanish wedding -- and half a year later the Greco-Caribbean wedding. Beaches were walked on, mountains were climbed. Facebook was joined, hundreds of e-mails were sent, more still were received. Proposals were drafted, heaps of drafts were proofread and plenty of talks were given. There were many trips to Belgium (of course), a few trips to the Netherlands and England, single trips to Sweden, Austria, Greece, Spain and -- undeniably -- through parts of Germany. Languages were learned and just as quickly forgotten, shoes were worn, glasses were broken, visitors were led astray. Kebabs were eaten, beers were drunk, trains were taken, planes were flown and cars were driven. I've walked on crutches, ran many miles and played frisbee in heat, snow, rain and ice. Tournaments were held, games were won and lost, pulsars were sought for but never found. And then there's my ever-continuing attempt at dominating an observatory all by myself, trying to spend more time in Effelsberg than ever before in Parkes. "Home" became not much beyond a shower and a bed.

And through it all, I have neglected my faithful fan-base, aka Dr. Paul Fraser in Mexico and M.Sc. Anonymous in Tamil Nadu (and the silent crowd whose existence does, so far, not survive Ockham's razor).

A month away from the two-year anniversary of this blog, I wonder if the more-than-half-a-year-long-silence should be taken as a call to action or seen as the inevitable succumbing to the inherent, self-defeating diary conflict that there is either nothing to report or no time to report on the many things that do happen.

Now I realise the start of a new year is traditionally a moment when people pick up on forgotten goals, lost promises and past intentions to steer them back onto daily life and to pick them up where once they were left. However, I am old enough now to know that new year's resolutions are more often admissions of defeat than sincere convictions of the need to act.

So let's cut some corners. Maybe it's time for me to admit that I haven't got what it takes. Unlike the people you see linked on the right-hand side of this text (and some others whom I attempt to follow but who don't show up for some reason I don't fully grasp), I for some reason cannot make myself write blogs regularly.

There you have it. Admission of defeat.

7 comments:

  1. And on the off-chance that something does get written here again, some day, you could always subscribe to the RSS feed. If you don't (yet) use an RSS reader, then I apologise. I could always try to send you an e-mail. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am saddened to read of the de jure demise of this forum for news of your exploits, but in some ways it has fulfilled its purpose: at the inception its personal value for you, if I recall, was to analyse living in El Gabacho.

    This just means I need to add you to my list of recipients of intermittent "Hey, what's shaking" type emails.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hej Paul,

    I tried to respond to you privately, but it seems that all e-mail accounts I have of you are no longer alive (or "valid"). Could you pass me a functional one, please? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bears do come out of hibernation every summer. You did in winter. Good to read your blog again.
    Din't update my blog ever since I came to Chennai because or awful light pollution. However, I am going to observe stars "optically" on 1-Jan evening with friend-to-be-made.
    Happy new year Joris!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kathleen Verbiest2 January 2011 at 14:59

    Here´s a paradox for you. Saying "I´m going to write in my diary every single day!" often results in not writing at all. While stating that you´re going to leave it, might actually get you interested again and take away the pressure and have you ending up writing a lot more often.

    Loved how you expressed the "self-defeating diary conflict", that´s so true... But the solution is very simple: use the boring periods to write about all the interesting things that happenend before, when you had no time to write them down. Who cares whether it happened three months earlier -you´re fun to read and it´s not the BBC News Hour.

    Happy New Year, brother!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lol - no, I'm not the BBC.

    Events are like e-mails, though. It's all good and well to say you'll get back to the leftovers from busy days once things have cooled down a bit, but in reality you don't: once things have waited for a week, they can wait for a month. And when they've waited for a month, they can wait for a few more months... until they never happen at all.

    Anyway. Chances are the writing bug will start itching again at some point, the only problem is it's not as predictable as clockwork.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kathleen Verbiest3 January 2011 at 19:56

    I have no problems with that. I live in Spain. Here even the clockwork isn´t predictable (like: a whole village having their watches run three minutes fast just because the churchbells are three minutes fast. No kidding. The place is called Massamagrell and I´m sure they´re not the only ones...)

    ReplyDelete