Tuesday 2 June 2009

The Long and Winding Road


    Dear Joris

    I'm glad to inform you that you have been approved the award of the degree of PhD.



And so the road that commenced exactly (well, exactly this Saturday) four years ago, has come to an end. (And I finally get to tick that box "Dr.")

For the die-hard amongst you, the final copy can be found here. For the less hard-core supporters, I've copied the only section you might be interested in, below - the non-scientific part of the acknowledgements, that is.


    At Swinburne as in Sydney, work only goes so far in turning “survival” into “life”. Luckily there were many friends along the way, some long gone, others just arrived, who provide some comic relief to give my brain the occasional rest. Thanks therefore to my housemates: Simon, Nadia, Meg, Paul, Elaine, Thomas and Lenneke for introducing me to the best TV series I know and for the discussions and insights in subjects as varied as sub-atomic physics, Australian culture and German cuisine (though mostly sub-atomic physics). Thanks also to my fellow students and office-mates (both in Swinburne and at the ATNF): Xiao Peng, Trevor, Tim, Sarah, Paul, Nick, Natasha, Meredith, Max2 , Lina, Lee, Kathryn, Jeremy, Haydon, Emily, Emil, Daniel, Chris, Caroline, Berkeley, Annie, Anneke, Andy, Alyson, Albert, Adrian and Adam for both encouraging and preventing procrastination, for lunch and dinner, for the Age Superquiz, for telling me more than I needed to hear about AFL and rugby. For poker, movies, music. For drinks and laughter. For taking me seriously, but not too seriously. For camping and hikes. For sleep-deprived comedy at 4am in the Parkes control room. And for pointing out the obvious. Apart from housemates and fellow students, the frisbee crowd provided me with an energy release that money cannot buy. Thanks for putting up with my galloping across your field, guys.

    Last but not least, thanks to the people I’ve been neglecting most of all: my father, who predicted twenty years ago that I’ll become a particle physicist; my mother, who keeps on defying the Universe in her claim that Australia is a long way from Belgium; and my siblings, Kathleen & Maarten, who are in their own way close while distant. It’s the four of you - and the eighteen years I’ve lived with you in Belgium, that have provided me with the dauntless international vision that brought me to the other end of the world and with the scientific intrigue that made me want to understand the Universe and, above all, gravity.



So yeah, thanks for a couple of great years, people. As much as I'm relieved the writing is behind my back, I'm still sorry those times are past...

7 comments:

  1. Hey Dr. Verbiest:)

    Thats's great! I hope you celebrated that with plenty of American made Belgium style beer :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I fear I'm a bit too busy to celebrate right now, though. :-( Besides, I've been pretending to be a "post-doc" here for 4 months now, so it would be a bit strange to celebrate graduation.

    Remind me to celebrate whenever I come past Stuttgart, though! (All those German-made German style beers... Hmm...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats great Joris.
    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dottore! Dottore! Dottore del buso del cul, vaffancul, vaffancul!

    Congratulations! And thanks for the mention!

    I can't use the title until I graduate. I assume you had yours posted out? Or do you intend to one day attend the ceremony?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kathleen Verbiest10 June 2009 at 17:44

    Amaaai, dat is wel heel lief hoor broer, dat wij zo mooi vermeld worden :)

    Ik ga hier even in het schoon Vlaams schrijven zodat al die Angelsaksische kompanen van u beseffen dat Engels niet uw moedertaal is, dus dat het een nog grotere verwezenlijking is dat gij in zo'n overdonderend Engels kunt schrijven.

    (En ons mama is er helemaal akkoord mee, roept zij vanuit de living).

    Heel erg proficiat, wij zijn allen super trots op u, maar eigenlijk waren we dat ervoor al hoor, titel of geen titel.

    Drie dikke ceremoniële zoenen van de zus,


    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know, Paul and Kathleen, neither of the above posts make much sense through Google translate. The difference is of course that I understand Flemish without such online tools, whereas my Italian... (Based on the translation of the last Italian word, though, I imagine I may not need to know what "buso del cul" is supposed to mean.)

    And I will indeed have the thing shipped over - the last ceremony I attended was 8 years ago (believe it or not, in the Netherlands there's a ceremony for finishing the first year of uni) and I must admit I'm not a fan. However, before they send it over I'll have to manage to send a couple of faxes around the world, which I keep on forgetting :-) Anyway, if that's all that keeps me from it, then I guess there are worse things to worry about.

    Overigens: bedankt Kathleen, 'k ben content dat de stijl u aanstaat :-) (and this too becomes something rather fascinating through Google translate - which suggests a 21st century version of Chinese whispers...)

    ReplyDelete