Monday 26 January 2009

The How and Why of Joris@Blog

It has been said about blogging that "Never before have so many people with so little to say, said so much to so few." I did, traditionally, also subscribe to that view and find it therefore necessary to provide a justification and a warning with regard to this blog.

Justification: there are two main reasons why I started writing this blog. First, people told me I should keep them informed about what I do, where I am, how things go. I have been notoriously bad at that but years of patiently reminding me to show some signs of life every now and again have borne fruit at last. Second, reading back trough the scattered earlier attempts at keeping diaries of some sort, have made me realise that sometimes it's actually quite fun to write - about goings on or about nothing at all, or about everything. Maybe that's just me and maybe it's the aweful boredom that months of scientific (read: thesis) writing have brought upon me; time might tell. Fact is: sometimes it's fun to write and it's always interesting (and sometimes nice) to reread notes from times past. So there's the why.

Warning: the above doesn't mean I know exactly what people want to read or know. For all I know, they're just being nice and polite and aren't interested in (m)any details at all. So since I cannot read your minds and because I hope to actually enjoy doing this, I won't give you any guarantees - what you see is what you get. What I do apologise for is if this blog becomes a bit too political at times; I am a slave to both my genes and my past, so please be patient - I'll try to keep boring content to a minimum :-)

3 comments:

  1. As to take you out of the dark about what people want to read: I can only speak for myself of course, but I am interested in hearing from you what the place looks like, who your colleagues are, how the locals behave, what is different from Europe and what is the same.
    Do rest assured that I keep my expectations low so there´s no need for you to force yourself into writing about things you don´t feel like writing about.
    But anyway: buena suerte!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okee, ik sluit mij aan bij Kathleen - maar verwacht nu geen (krom) engels van mij eh seg!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's fine - I'm just using English because it's a majority language (for now) and because it's easy. Feel free to use whatever language you fancy for comments, though.

    "what is different from Europe and what is the same"
    In that case the recent post about the busses might be a start.

    ReplyDelete